For a long, long time, I’d been meaning to pay a visit to Honest Burgers. I’d heard rave reviews and knew I would love it, but just didn’t get round to it. On Friday night, Tim and I made a fairly spontaneous decision to go there for dinner in Tooting on the way home. And I’m so glad I did, because I had the best burger I’ve ever had in my life. That’s a bold statement. But I’m sticking by it… (please excuse the photos – I didn’t have my good camera with me as I wasn’t expecting to go for dinner).
I ordered the Special – Beef, Black Forest Bacon, Bavarian Smoked Cheddar, Sauerkraut and Currywurst Sauce. All burgers are served with Rosemary Salted Chips.
Now I’ve tried a lot of burgers, many of which I’ve written about on here. So you might be wondering what made this one so great.
1. The burger itself was delicious. Honest Burgers source their meat from Ginger Pig butchers, which as regular readers will know, I’m a huge fan of. They dry age their meat and you can absolutely taste the difference, even in their burgers.
2. It was also cooked to perfection for me. It was actually the rarest burger I’ve ever eaten in the UK. In the US I’ve been served extremely rare burgers but I’ve since learned that you shouldn’t serve mince very rare. Either way, it was soft and juicy, and spectacular!
3. The bun was soft and tasty.
4. The burger and bun was the perfect size. It was a bit smaller than other burger chains, but that didn’t matter. In fact, it made it easier to eat. You could pick it up and eat it with both hands, without having to cut it up with a knife and fork, and have everything spilling out of the sides.
5. Lastly, the flavour combination of the bacon, sauerkraut and currywurst sauce just worked perfectly and was unlike any other burger I’ve had before. I’m sure my German friends would appreciate it too!
So there you go, all of the above is why it was the best burger I’ve ever had. But there were other elements to the meal which made it so great. The rosemary fries were delicious and I appreciated the fact that they automatically came with the burger rather than having to order and pay extra.
We also ordered some chicken wings as a side which were lovely, and I had an Honest Cocktail: Blackdown English Vodka, Apple and Cucumber Puree. I love anything with cucumber in it, so this was ideal, and so refreshing.
So as you can imagine, I will definitely be returning, sooner rather than later! (and hopefully taking some better photos!)