Look at the amount of goodies in the photo above! And the best part? They’re all organic! I was recently challenged to come up with some recipes from said mystery box of goodies! Beforehand I had no idea what to expect, but I was overwhelmed with the amount of items I was sent. The campaign was officially kicked off by Madeleine Shaw:
In addition to the above video, here’s a few quick facts about organic food:
- Organic crops are exposed to fewer pesticides
- Organic livestock (chicken, beef, lamb, pork etc.) are truly free range, meaning they have more space to roam and enjoy high welfare standards
- Organic dairy cows are free range and pasture fed
- Organic farming is great for farmers and more environmentally friendly
- Recent research has shown that organic crops are up to 60% higher in a number of key antioxidants and that both organic milk and meat contain around 50% more beneficial omega-3 fatty acids.
Here’s a full list of the items I was sent to work with – it was all very ‘Ready Steady Cook’!
- Beef Feather Steak
- Pork Belly Strips
- Lamb Mince
All of this was provided by The Well Hung Meat Co (brilliant name!), a completely organic, Devon-based company (another reason for me to love them!)
- Red Onions
- White Onions
- Greek Yoghurt
- Cottage Cheese
- Penne Pasta
- Black Rice
- Spelt Flour
- Chicken and Vegetable Stock
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Dark Chocolate
- Olive Oil
It was actually really refreshing to take a look at a box of ingredients and come up with a completely new recipe, rather than doing something I regularly cook, or follow from a book. I’ve come up with three recipes and I’ll be posting these over the next couple of weeks, so keep your eyes peeled!
I was invited to participate in the #OrganicUnboxed Challenge, but did not receive any payment. All views are my own.